Before starting how to manage cholesterol level with diet, let’s understand some important things.
Globally, cardiovascular disease is the major cause of death. The development of cardiovascular disease is significantly influenced by elevated cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia) and altered lipid profiles (dyslipidemia). To maintain cholesterol levels, one must maintain a healthy weight, drink alcohol in moderation, and not smoke. Changing dietary habits is a significant shift that must be made in addition to these other things..
Low cholesterol diets contain foods that can help lower cholesterol levels.
Your blood fats can improve and your cholesterol can be reduced by changing the things you eat. The best strategy to attain a low cholesterol diet is to include foods that reduce LDL, the dangerous cholesterol-carrying particle that contributes to artery-clogging atherosclerosis.
DIETARY CHANGES & FOODS ALLOWED :
- High fibre foods like whole cereals, whole pulses, sprouts
- All fruits and vegetables
- Low fat substitutes like skimmed milk and its products i.e. curd, paneer, lassi
- Low fat meat like chicken, fish, egg white
- Food rich in soluble fiber like methi seeds, curry leaves etc.
- Plenty of raw vegetables, salads & dark leafy vegetables
- Plenty of fresh fruits instead of fruit juices. Eat whole fruits with skin and seeds (grapes, chikoo, guava, apple)
- Soya and Soya products should be included in the diet (Soya milk, Tofu, Soya nuts, Soya flour)
- Inclusion of fish in the diet is beneficial
- Small quantities of almonds should be consumed
- Onion, garlic and turmeric should also be included in the diet
Also Read : 5 healthy foods to include in your diet
Foods to be avoided:
- Refined cereals like Suji, Maida and Sago
- Glandular meats like Kidney, Liver, Heart, Pork, Bacon and Red meat
- Whole milk and its products like cream, khoya, and processed cheese
- Deep fried foods, chocolates, pastries, cakes, mithai
- In case there is a sodium restriction bakery products, tinned food, high salty processed meats
- Pickles, papads should be avoided
- Fat like vanaspati
- Nuts like cashew nuts, peanuts, coconuts, oil seeds etc.
- Aerated drinks, shakes, fruit juices etc.
- No salt or baking soda to be used in cooking
- To make your food palatable use spices like elaichi, dalchini, pudina, dhania, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, tamarind, tomato
Heart disease is largely caused by high cholesterol levels. Several small dietary changes can significantly reduce your cholesterol levels.
This information is not intended to be used as a substitute for professional medical advice. Your doctor should be consulted for any medical advise. Dr. B. Lal Lab accepts no responsibility for the contents of this information, despite the fact that every precaution was taken in its development.