Do you get short of breath even just down a couple of stairs? Have severe un-accounted hair loss, sudden dizziness, or cold feet? If yes then you might sit and consider if you have Anemia.
Iron-deficiency anemia is a condition of deficiency of red blood cells in the body. Red blood cells are a very important part of the blood and play various important roles. Red blood cells carry oxygen to pass through the tissues of the body. Haemoglobin is the main protein of red blood cells and deficiency of haemoglobin can cause a lot of damage to the body. Haemoglobin affects the functionality of the organs of the body. Always having fatigue and dizziness are the most common result of Iron deficiency Anemia.
Iron is an important component of haemoglobin and deficiency of iron is a major cause of Anemia. Mineral iron is needed to produce haemoglobin and deficiency of iron results in Iron deficiency Anemia.
Unfortunately, Anemia is very common amongst the population. 6% of the population suffers from Anemia.
Types of Anaemia-
There are nearly 400 types of anemia which can be divided into three major groups.
- Due to blood loss
- Due to a decrease in blood cells or no production of red blood cells.
- Due to the destruction of red blood cells.
There are different types of Anemia. Some are passed down genetically while others can be caused by a long-term disease or accident. In most women anemia occurs during pregnancy. And heavy menstrual flow Infants have anemia passed through or my mother’s medical condition. Rest cases of anemia can be because of any chronic disease, organ failure, or lifestyle.
Pregnancy-induced anemia is a common occurrence and is cured after some time but other types of anemia can be serious and be the indication of a medical condition and require special medical care.
Symptoms of Anaemia
Anemia symptoms can be very mild and common they are often overlooked. But this can lead to a major decline in the number of red blood cells. Symptoms of anemia can vary and depend on the cause of anemia.
- Sudden dizziness, lightheadedness. Feeling of nearly passing out.
- Weakness and difficulty to perform in day to day activities.
- Weird cravings for inedible items like ice, mud or clay, etc.
- Tongue swelling
- Cold feet and hands compared to the body.
- Irregular heartbeat while doing the most basic of work.
- Shortness of breath
- Pale skin.
Possible Causes of Anaemia
- Blood loss
Due to blood loss body can lose a large number of red blood cells. This can happen either in accident, disease, or slowly internal bleeding.
Gastritis, Ulcers, gastrointestinal, hemorrhoids, cancers, blood loss during childbirth, etc. are causes of blood loss. Ulcers can cause internal bleeding.
- Blood Loss during pregnancy.
- Consumption of Non-steroidal or anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen can cause internal bleeding in the stomach.
- Not enough production of red blood cells.
In this case, the body does not produce enough red blood cells. It can be due to faulty organs or deficiency of iron mineral. Haemoglobin is made in the body but can be made without a sufficient amount of iron. A diet which lacks iron mineral can cause anemia. Bone marrow produces blood in the body. Sometimes bone marrow is affected by factors like other chronic diseases, and wars
- Destruction of Red Blood Cells
Under pressure, red blood cells become incompetent in traveling through the body and burst this is called hemolytic Anaemia. An enlarged spleen can also cause and destruct the cells entirely.
- Poor diet – it is important a diet full of all the necessary vitamins so the production of red blood cells is not affected. Vitamins are also necessary to maintain the levels so the production of red blood cells is not disrupted.
- Body not absorbing iron- in case of any after-effects of a disease like celiac disease or gastric bypass or surgery body stop or decreases the quantity of iron absorbed. Even though mineral iron is present in enough quantities body cannot absorb and use it.
Diagnosing Iron deficient Anaemia
If you notice symptoms of anemia consult your doctor for a test.
A doctor can diagnose anemia by blood tests which are;
- Complete blood cell test (CBC)
Measures platelets, haemoglobin, hematocrit, white blood cells, and Red blood cell.
After examining the results of this type based on the severity of your anemia either you will get treatment or further test to better understand your condition.
Treatment – Depending on the type and extent of your anemia doctor will prescribe appropriate treatment.
- Iron and other Supplements – To restore mineral iron levels in your body supplement are a very convenient way and are rather very effective. It is prescribed to take on an empty stomach to better absorb the iron. This method can take up to months for desired results. Vitamin c is also prescribed because t helps iron absorb better.
- Proper diet plans and recommended food list is given to follow and compare results after time. It is advised to eat red meat, leafy vegetables, cereals, oranges, or citrus fruits.
- In case of any internal bleeding or disease, a proper treatment is continued to eradiate the issue.